Sunday, March 6, 2011

a dream

Today I talked with a man who had a dream.
Well, in all actuality, this man had a coma.

He was in a coma for only 10 days. Now, this is where my fascination of brain function kicks in, because when he was in this 10-day coma, he dreamt. He dreamt an entire life of 45 years. He dreamt he got married. He dreamt he had two children.

The writer in me heard this story, and began to instantly whiz out a mini novel.
"Man goes about day-to-day life, starts having random flashbacks of some other life. A past life? Wife tells him, 'Those were just dreams!' Slowly, his world begins to fall apart. Things start fading like ghosts, disappearing. Weird happenings occur, and gradually we come to the climax. He wakes up. He was in a coma all along, and 45 years of his life are gone. He's aged only 10 days, and has to start all over. His wife and his children, the ones telling him the world is a dream, were all in his head."

But the reality this, that is actually what it was like for this man. His coma was very much like my pretend story in the way it played out. Almost exact.

So, it got me thinking...

When do we know we are dreaming? We only know we have dreamt after we have woken up.

Is life a series of dreaming and waking? Or only dreaming?

Time is all man-made. We create the numbers, the lapses. We create the standards of what time should be, how much time should have passed.

I began to wonder... When you dream in a coma, your brain is at it's most basic function. So, does that mean your dream is a reflection of your subconscious only? Your basic needs?

I thought, was his wife in the coma a half of his subconscious, him being the other. The two halves competing over what was reality, what they believed in.

This man had to live 45 years believing his old life was the dream, and then awaken to find out it was the  other way around.

How can you be sure of that after that kind of an experience? How can any of us be?

I will tell of my dreams, and people would say, "Dreams aren't real. They are in your head."

Everything is in my head. So, does it become a matter of levels?

"Well, how do I know I am not dreaming you up right now?"
"Because I know my own life, and I have lived it before you."
"But I don't know that. I only know what I know.  I could have invented you. Your whole history as I know it. I could have imagined your entire life to fit into mine."

The only thing that is certain to ourselves is our own life. Our own experiences. And the only time that is certain is this exact moment right now. We cannot be sure of the past, just as we cannot be sure of the future.

Consider those who suffer from split personalities. They create entire, separate worlds in their heads. They can hear, see, and feel things that are not there to us.

Your brain controls everything, so it can create anything. Once we tap into this, anything is possible.

Going back to the point of different levels... There are ones we allow our other manifestations, or other creations to see (The entire world I let everyone I know (Or have created) see and feel). And there are other creations we keep to ourselves. Hidden deep in our brains, secrets. As though those objects/people are projections of things we have to deal with in ourselves.  As though every person in my world is a projection of a different part of my brain. So, the "imaginary people" are just people I didn't want other people to know about. Parts of my brain that I am hiding from other parts of my brain.

I see certain people in a negative way, because they are a projection of something negative I feel about myself.

I hold other people on a pedestal, because they have characteristics I have fabricated to relate to the ones I like about myself.

Theory? Maybe. It's an idea, yes, but one I seem to always come back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment